mumsnet

Wednesday 22 January 2014

Against the odds…he/she baby almost made it through!

Wow! That's all I can say as I’ve just suffered an ectopic pregnancy!!!  How - with a coil fitted???  Seems “soldiers” and “eggies” have been working overtime!  I thought we'd done our bit for the human race (4 children) and now this!?

I was having severe abdominal pain and, following a positive pregnancy test which GP insisted on (I was adamant I wasn’t pregnant), I was immediately transferred to hospital for suspected ectopic pregnancy.  Another test in hospital and YES, definitely pregnant.  A shot out of the blue, I tell ya!

The coil was duly removed and the pain has subsided.  I’m being monitored with blood works and scans before being treated with either an injection or surgery (or neither, if results show that the pregnancy aborted spontaneously).

Much as we did not plan this (and I was quite annoyed by the positive results) it feels very hurtful to lose a pregnancy.  It’s a feeling I can’t explain.  I will find solace in the fact that I have four lovely children and God has given me all He wants for me – all that I need.

I'd like to acknowledge the wonderful NHS staff that looked after me: the out-of-hours GP that night, the ambulance crew (2 of them), the staff in the hospital, including the Gynaecologist and all the nurses in the Gynaecology Department.  I was lucky and blessed to meet such professional and compassionate people throughout my journey and I thank God.


In the words of Elton John “…And I've got all that I'm allowed.  It'll do for me, I'm thankful now…And I'm thankful, … …So thankful… I've got all that I'm allowed”.

Update, 24th January
Test results showed that the pregnancy was developing, albeit abnormally, so I’ve had a Laparoscopy and a Salpingectomy to terminate the pregnancy and remove the fallopian tube in which the baby was growing.  My husband and I both have mixed emotions; gratitude that I’m alive and sadness at the loss of our poor baby.

Time and prayers will, no doubt, heal this hurt.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment